Thursday, May 7, 2009

Going Green is not for the Dogs


We’ve all heard the saying, you can’t teach old dog new tricks, but I wondered if my two dogs, Max and Mocha, could learn to go green. Hmm, how to green a dog; I know I’ll start with their food. Okay to be honest I got a coupon in the mail for $3.00 off a bag of a natural dog food, three dollars! Seeing as they already ate that brand already, how bad could it be? I figured that Max probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference because at age 12 his taste buds were more than likely not what they once were. At first he turned his nose up, but finally relented and ate it. On the other hand, one year old Mocha had different plans. She picked out the new food, spit it on the floor, and then ate the old food still in the bowl. Cleverly, I had mixed the two together thinking that I would fake them out, not so much. I didn’t have much luck with the organic treats either.
Nothing seemed out of the ordinary to Mocha when she went out to do her business after dinner. She pranced out to the lawn, sniffed around, found the perfect spot, and when done came tearing up the driveway to claim her delicious reward. Foolishly I didn’t bring her inside the house before giving her the new organic treat. She took it in her mouth, dropped it, smelled it, and looked up at me as if to say, “You’re kidding, right?” Before I could get an old treat for her, she tore back down the driveway to terrorize the poor old beagle who happened to be walking down the street. His owner quickly snatched him up and glared at me like I was some kind of negligent idiot who shouldn’t even be allowed to pet a dog let alone own one. It was a look not unlike the look I received by the room of disapproving Mother’s when I asked, “Why must there be weekly meetings, wouldn’t every third week suffice?” It was the first and only time I ever attended a Brownie meeting with my daughter, but that’s another story.
I screamed at Mocha to come, then looked at the horrified look on the beagle’s owner’s face, and quickly changed my tone. “Come here Mocha my darling. I’ll give you a nice treat if you stop scaring that nice doggy.” I imagine the overweight beagle had not seen anything quite so intimidating as the 8 pound yorkie-poo Mocha jumping and bouncing around spastically as if she were a real live wind up toy.
I scratched the idea of store bought natural dog food and organic dog treats. Now I’m developing my own natural dog food recipes, because I still haven’t given up on the idea that you can teach an old dog new tricks, especially when it comes to going green. Not yet anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment